Saturday, August 11, 2012

Banana-Millet and Fall's Finest: Sweet-Potato-Pie

-Morgan

The Spartans went down in history more for their brevity than for their grand maxims; and more for their deeds than their words. In fact, it was after their homeland, Laconia or Lacedaemon, that the term 'laconic' was coined. ... And this all has very much to do with waffles because, rather than bore you with description, after tutorial, after monologue, I have determined to take from their great example and let the following images (deeds) 'speak' for themselves. I will delay only long enough to tell you that the two waffles represented are Banana-Millet, and Sweet-Potato-Pie. (And to apologize for the blurry photos) ... (I wouldn't make a good Spartan. I always have a P.S. or disclaimer)


...But some photos require captions.  This may look like philo-dough, or the Dead Sea Scrolls, but it's actually just our 10 year-old cookbook. I always say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.


Ol' Faithful




For the Banana-Millet Waffles, I used millet flour and banana :) I also added ginger, because it goes with everything


I'm assuming there is such thing as shelf-life sweet potato. If so, that would naturally (but not really) be an option. However, I've always been told, and am, therefore, telling you that even GMO tastes better than outright radiation.


Furthermore, it is imperative to ensure that the potato is, in fact, dead - completely, utterly dead.
... actually, we just punch some ventilation holes so it doesn't explode.


I baked the sweet potatoes at 450F for an hour.


To make the Sweet-Potato-Pie waffle truly Fall-ly, I used the spices ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, galangal, and allspice. Each 'to taste'.


I am a firm believer in pulverizing all the liquid ingredients. It makes them blend better in both texture and flavour. I include bananas and potatoes in this liquid category because when I'm finished with them, they, too, are liquid. But in all seriousness, who likes chunks in their breakfast?? That's just offensive. (And I think that is a point that even Leonidas would deem noteworthy)


Thick. Smooth. It should sound something like 'blooop. bloop. bloop-bloop.' when you pour it, as opposed to 'pdddddtttttddddddttttttthhhsss' This means the waffle will be more like cake, and less like crackers. :)



Voila! It may look like an ordinary waffle. But the fact that I said 'Tada!' in French proves that it's not.

1 comment:

  1. Great first post Morgan!! I think you should blog regularly!

    ReplyDelete